Untitled Documents are still a very common mistake people make when publishing a website. Properly naming each file of a website is a critical step in obtaining good search engine optimization. The page title is one of the most important elements for obtaining good search results. Without it, search engines can easily categorize your pages incorrectly.
As an experiment I’ve posted this untitled document to see just how well it will place in the search engines for the keyword “Untitled Document”. My goal is to show that good SEO practices can help a website rank well for almost any keyword phrase.
NOTE: If your website is ranking higher than this one for the keyword phrase “Untitled Document” you should change your page title. Chances are that no one is looking for your business, products or services using these keywords and you would have much better success in the search engines using the proper keywords to identify your website.
Presently there are nearly 11,900,000 records found in Google for the phrase “untitled document”. Good keyword research is an important part of search engine optimization and you should know what you’re up against.
Attempting to get any page to the top of Google for your desired keyword involves many different techniques. Some are still considered black hat or SEO trickery, but simply using smart SEO strategies to increase the pagerank of a page can still help get top placement in Google.
Below are some elements I’ve used to help improve the placement of this page.
- The Meta title of this page includes the keyword phrase that I want to target and it matches the H1 tag
- The keyword phrase is in the meta description
- The keyword phrase is in the meta keywords tag
- The H1 tag includes the keyword phrase
- The page title (H1 tag) is set as close to the body tag as possible
- There is at least 1 bold or underlined instance of the keyword phrase in the content
- The page includes a bulleted list to improve authority value (this is a big SEO secret so don’t tell anyone)
- The page content incorporates Latent Symantic Indexing elements to help bots (spiders) correctly identify and catalog the page
- There is at least one external link pointing to this page from another website
- That link includes the keyword phrase that I’m targeting
- The site that links to this page has a high PR and is heavily trafficked
- The file name includes the keyword phrase I’m targeting
The missing element
Good SEO practices can only help a website so much. In order for a website to truly rank well for a desired keyword phrase, audience participation is required. In other words, your website visitors need to show search engines that your content is worthy of their attention.
How do you encourage visitors to share your content? By providing quality content and asking them to share.
- Post comments and questions in the section provided
- Share the article on Social Media websites
- Link to this page from your blog or website using the following html code
<!–Start Untitled Document Link–>
<a href=”http://www.awhfx.com/untitled-document” target=”_blank”><strong>Untitled Document</strong></a><br>Untitled Document is an SEO experiment to show that good Search Engine Optimization strategies can affect the placement of a web page even if the page is untitled.
<!–End Untitled Document Link–>
Learn more about Search Engine Optimization
Here are several web promotion articles I’ve written to help others learn more about SEO.